It’s been hard starting on the kitchen. Every room has been hard to start on. It’s so overwhelming for those first few days. I’m taking it really slowly with the kitchen though and it didn’t help that I kept procrastinating all week long. Finally, I decided to start with one cabinet shelf a day. It seemed to be all I could handle this week but it was something. I have a little more time today but need to do some actual cleaning in there first. Groceries need to be put away and dishes are waiting to be washed.
Once I finally got started, this is what I took out of the middle shelf of the first cabinet:
- Half used pack of taco seasoning
- Pack of Ramen Noodle soup beef flavoring
- Random spice
- Tupperware pepper shaker
- Empty jar of peanut butter (Why?)
- Caramel syrup
- Chili seasoning
- Organic honey that has gotten very dark but not crystalized
- Crystalized honey
- Mucus Relief Cough medicine
- Pork seasoning and coating mix
- Caramel hot cocoa
- Another half used pack of taco seasoning
- Seasoned Salt Sample pack
14 things.. that’s not very many… better luck on the next one
Here’s what I got out of the bottom shelf: (for some strange reason, I took the pic and then threw it all away so I don’t remember exactly what it all is)
- 2 Boxes of Vitamins that expired in 2009!?!?
- 2 Crystalized little bears of honey
- 3 bottles of expired vitamins
- Almost empty container of colored sugar
- 8 bottles of old spices
- 3 bottles of expired medications
- Bottom half of a butter dish
20 things from the bottom shelf
I really thought that there would be a lot more than that to get rid of. Since I want this to be a major decluttering effort, I might go through it again right away.
Here’s the last shelf:
- 32 bottles of expired medications (now that’s a little better)
- Big Bear of Honey (I’ve heard that you can uncrystalize pure honey but I tried once and it seemed to take forever. I’ve also heard that it lasts for like hundreds of years but would you really want to eat it after hundreds of years?)
- Almost empty container of Kool-Aid (I know it’s terrible but I love Kool-Aid once in awhile)
- Bag of walnuts that I was going to use for Christmas cookies a few years ago.
- Great big bottle of Acetyl L-Carnitine that I was given for my thyroid but never got around to taking.
- Top of the butter dish
- Tupperware shaker container that’s missing the bottom
- Tupperware salt shaker
40 Things from the top shelf! Now we’re getting somewhere!
That’s a total of 74 things out of the first kitchen cabinet, done over 3 days.
I have a feeling that I’m going to be able to top the 500 things I got out of the bedroom on this room. Every cabinet is bursting at the seams. I feel like I need to go deep on this decluttering because I want to be able to cook more without having to move a million things every day before starting. Plus, people are always filling up this room!
Kitchen Total = 74 Things
Grand Decluttering Total = 2,103 Things that I never have to pick up again!!
Here’s a few pics of the things I got rid of:
(I’m not posting a lot of pics right now because it’s just so bad in the room. I love posting before pics but not until I’m pretty much done.)